Belgian fighter admits that Islamic State is lacking manpowerPosted: 2014/11/29
The Islamic State is in dire need of fighters, a prominent Belgian member admits. Listing the sixteen best reasons to join the jihad, he puts the lack of manpower at the second place.
PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW.
According to recent reports in western media, the Islamic State (IS) is so in need of additional manpower after weeks of hammering airstrikes, that it dropped most of its vetting of foreign recruits. In the past, new volunteers had to present recommendations of three established fighters before they were allowed to cross the Turkish border and enter Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s caliphate. “Almost any muslim who wants to travel now can”, a man responsible for a safehouse of IS in the Turkish town of Urfa told ‘The Daily Telegraph‘ last week.
Writing on his Facebook page, a prominent Belgian fighter within IS now explicitly confirms that the group is in shortage of fighters. Hicham Chaïb, a former leader of the extremist organization Shariah4Belgium, listed sixteen arguments to join the army of IS. “We call upon the muslims to fight for so much reasons”, he wrote, “with the following as the most obvious.” The first one he mentioned was “to prevent the infidels to dominate”, while the second already spoke about the “lack of manpower” his group is facing now.
The entire list reads as follows — as literally as possible translated out of Dutch:
1. To prevent the infidels to dominate
2. Because of the lack of manpower
3. Out of fear for the fire in hell
4. To fulfill the duty of Jihad and heed the call of the Lord
5. To follow the pious predecessors (the exemplary generations)
6. To build a solid base for Islam
7. To protect those who are suppressed in the countries
8. To hope for martyrdom and a high position in the Paradise
9. Because Jihad truly is a shield for the honor of the Ummah and a means to avoid humiliation
10. To protect the honor of the Ummah and to break the conspiracy of its enemies
11. To guarantee the earth and protect against depravity
12. To safeguard the islamic places of worship
13. To protect the Ummah against punishment, depravation and replacement
14. For the prosperity of the Ummah and the expansion of its means
15. Because Jihad is the culmination of Islam
16. Because Jihad is the most outstanding way of worship and the Muslim can obtain the highest degrees with it.
Before he went to Syria on the 19th of March 2013, Chaïb was known as bodyguard of Shariah4Belgium’s founder and leader Fouad Belkacem. But the role of ‘Abu Haniefa’ — as he was called in the organization — was much more important than flexing his muscles. That became clear when he took over the organization after Belkacem’s imprisonment in June 2012 together with two other core members, Feisal Yamoun and Noureddine Abouallal. They are both killed in Syria since. All four the mentioned men are currently on trial in Belgium for leadership of a terrorist organization — in absentia of course, apart from Belkacem.
In Syria, Chaïb apparently is trying to become the new public face of his group. He did appear already in several promotional videos describing the prosperous life in the caliphate, and frequently is launching new appeals to join IS in Facebook posts. His wife Kaoutar Bioui, also known as ‘Umm Haniefa Al Belgikiya’, has followed her husband to Syria and is as radical as he. In May of this year, she even called upon the muslims in Belgium to assassinate the far right politician Filip De Winter. “May Allah enlighten our eyes with the slaughter of this pig”, she wrote.
UPDATE: Chaïb’s list of arguments to join Islamic State comes literally from Al Qaida’s co-founder Abdullah Yusuf Azzam’s years old pamphlet ‘Join the Caravan‘, as Timothy Holman informed us today. So, it may be wrong to relate it to the current state of IS.